Today was my first day.
I did lots. I didn’t do much. The time disappeared and suddenly it was 7pm.
Over the day I managed to:
- read a paper and a half
- log in to my linux desktop using a new MSSL account
- connect my laptop to the wireless VPN and wired ethernet at my desk
- figure out the number for the phone on my desk (this took a disproportionate amount of time & the office staff are wonderful)
- get both my desktop and laptop to successfully print
- download spectral data from the most recent set of observations I’ll be working on
- get SPEX (x-ray spectrum analysis software) to work on my laptop
- use SPEX to open and manipulate a spectrum to look ‘normal’ in a graph
- go to the building-wide coffee break
- accidentally go to a separate cake based break and not eat any (wasn’t sure I was allowed to)
- reset my UCL email password
- delete over 2000 emails from two years of not using my UCL account
- unsubscribe from lots of junk mail I signed up to as a fresher
- print papers I can read while I’m out the office some of this week doing general UCL registration/introduction things (far more than I will read!)
- meet and chat to some lovely and incredibly helpful people
I enjoyed my day. I’m looking forward to tomorrow. Long may this continue.
Tomorrow I will continue reading papers.